Thursday, August 1, 2019

IT IS TIME TO DATE EVERYDAY PLEASURES.





D is for date,delight.

Friends it is the time of my life when I need to learn to date simple delights of everyday life. However, the monkey mind being a restless entity keeps provoking me to be up and doing. It cautions me against embracing the comfort zone come what may. It is aware of my inclinations, my spirit of inquiry, and curiosity. It is slowly resigning to the limitations of aging though.

Since outings are a less preferred choice these days, I’m evolving into a person who enjoys living within the boundaries of home life. My balcony (I spend summers amidst hills) figuratively has turned into a window for interaction with the natural world. It allows me to converse with it whenever. My balcony overlooks the narrow valley surrounded by hills covered with groves of refreshed pines and lush greenery. Regular spells of monsoon showers have brightened the ambiance. 




My morning starts-if it is not raining- with a leisurely walk in my balcony. While sipping my first cup of tea of the day I watch lanky pines in their crowning glory. Either they are very still or I see their boughs laden with fresh needles swinging happily in the cool moist air. The rain-washed bushes, shrubs, and random vegetation release placid smug vibes. Well soaked and saturated they look cheerful and secure under the protective canopy of pines. The visual intoxication fills me with positivity and I look forward to the unfolding of the day. The glowing morning messages me to make the most of the day.

There are a few other harmless but joyful activities I indulge in. My newfound liking for crocheting keeps me satisfyingly busy when I’ve nothing else to do. You Tube 
videos have helped me in learning the basics of crocheting.

I love reading books. Hubby uploads books on my Kindle, which I select from Amazon.com’s Book section.

 I'm a creative person by nature. I keep visiting some sites suggested by Pinterest for DIY projects. I may not do them but then the marvelous ideas are sometimes overwhelming.

There is so much to learn and do but the hitch is if your physicality enables you to carry on the struggle, which new ventures entail.

I‘m reminded of John Milton’s dilemma, which he versifies in his epic poem ‘The Paradise Lost’.

Milton lost his eyesight early in life and was unable to write. However, the thought that God will question him about his wasting the gift of writing gnawed him constantly.  In his poem, ‘On His Blindness’ he poses this question to himself. Then deep down his mind conveys the answer as well. Here is the poem.

                            On His Blindness

(1655)



WHEN I consider how my light is spent
  Ere half my days in this dark world and wide,
  And that one Talent which is death to hide
  Lodged with me useless, though my soul more bent
To serve therewith my Maker, and present
  My true account, lest He returning chide,
  “Doth God exact day-labour, light denied?”
  I fondly ask. But Patience, to prevent
That murmur, soon replies, “God doth not need
  Either man’s work or his own gifts. Who best
  Bear his mild yoke, they serve him best. His state
Is kingly: thousands at his bidding speed,
  And post o’er land and ocean without rest;
  They also serve who only stand and wait.”





Friends draw your own conclusions about the theme of the poem!



Friends welcome here as always!


11 comments:

  1. Hari OM
    A lovely post and one with which I have a degree of empathy! As long as one's mind is every pointed to higher inclinations, whether sat upon a balcony or out among the bustle, then spiritual purpose is indeed served. YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Connecting to nature is very important in my book. I equate nature and the Universe with God. All love. Like you, I'm fortunate to be able to see and be with nature in my backyard.
    I wonder when Milton realized he could dictate his poems to someone, and I wonder who he trusted. Google here I come.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's so lovely to have such a view of God's handiwork.
    I sometimes wonder how I can serve by being a recluse wife :), but I feel that we all have unique ways to 'serve' no matter our circumstances, as Milton figured out.

    Your post rocks at 'My Corner of the World' this week!


    My Corner of the World

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello, Reading is one of my favorite things. I like the msteries, suspense and thrillers. I live in an area surrounded by a forest, birds singing all day. We all have different ways to spend our time, it is not wasted. I would think a blind writer could dictate his writing or poem into a recorder. Thanks for the visit and comment. Enjoy your Friday, happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. THankfully we are all unique persons, so is the perspective and experience we have per moment... times to feel all that is possible to feel

    Have a heartwarming en splendid ABC-Wednes-day / -week
    M e l o d y (team ABC-W)
    https://melodyk.nl/25-D

    ReplyDelete
  6. "monkey mind" - interesting symbolism.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think when we can delight in the little things then we have truly learned how to live life. Must be a very peaceful place where you live.
    dropping by from ABCW

    ReplyDelete
  8. There is much in our homes and yards to sooth, bring joy and help us forget all the problems in the world...

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  10. My day always starts with a cup of tea too, many may say the best drink of the day!
    It's so nice to relax and read some good books too.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your location is so beautiful with all of that greenery. I start my day with coffee and really enjoy it. And I agree that You Tube is a wonderful place for learning new things.

    ReplyDelete