Tuesday, August 10, 2021

AGING IS ALSO A PHENOMENON

    

I’m aging and trying to evolve into a person who enjoys living within the boundaries of home life. I consider it the right time too to embrace the simple delights of everyday life. Though my monkey mind and my fairly active body balk at the idea of surrender and face the existential reality of pains, aches, and much more; yet choosing a comfort zone is not an option for me but a necessity at this phase of my life. Despite my vibrant disposition of inquiry, and unquenched curiosity, the limitations of aging stare in the face starkly.

My life now has a different calendar. Since outings are minimal these days, my balcony (I spend summers amidst hills) figuratively has turned into a window for interaction with the natural world. It overlooks a narrow valley surrounded by hills covered with thickly growing stately pines and lush greenery. A silent unobtrusive conversation I hold with trees, bushes, and sprawling random vegetation. Sometimes the goings-on in the avian world also becomes a centre of attraction, because of the unique orchestra they play before flying off to their stipulated destination of the day.  Regular spells of monsoon showers have caused the flora to glisten when sunrays win the hide and seek game with masses of water-soaked clouds.

 

My morning starts if it is not raining- with a leisurely walk on my balcony. While sipping my first cup of tea of the day, I instinctively feel connected with the soothing vibes emanating from nature’s marvels around. The feisty scene of majestic pines, their boughs laden with fresh needles swinging happily in the cool moist air makes me feel happy to be alive. The rest of the rain-washed foliage proudly acts as an appendage to fill gaps in between trees and provide a safe canopy for the insect colonies to flourish. This limitless visual spectacle malleable to the constantly changing aspects of climate, on a deeper level, slams us for our rigidities and proclivity to cling to our limiting identities. The charming scenario makes me conscious of the unfolding of the new day, and my resolve to make it more productive than yesterday.

 To preserve my sanity and ward off feelings of isolation, I keep inventing things to do. Believe me, all my left-over wools and forgotten multi-colored threads have been made use of by my newfound joyful activity of crocheting. My browsing YouTube videos helped me immensely in learning its basics.

Reading can be a pleasurable activity for us seniors both for time well spent and acquiring insights into human aspirations. My Kindle is well stocked with eBooks which I order online. One can get compilations of all-time Classics in one jacket – a gem to lovers of reading.

 

I’m on Pinterest as well. Please google to find all information about it. I find it a minefield of wonderful new ideas, quotes, and DIY projects. If one has the gift of a keen creative streak one can learn unimaginable things even at an advanced age. Basic computer savviness is the only requirement separating you from the treasure trove of the universe.

Cooking is therapeutic. Kitchen kingdom is the prerogative, which most of the ladies would loath to pass over wholly to any maid whatsoever. This privilege one should maintain till one's limbs cooperate.

Choicest activity interspersed with restful lie-downs and some exercise makes life satisfying, joyful, and healthy even in grey years

I’m reminded of John Milton’s dilemma, which he versifies in his well-known sonnet titled “On His Blindness”. Having lost his eyesight early in life he was unable to write. However, the thought that God will question him about his wasting the gift of writing gnawed him constantly.  But deep down, his mind itself conveys the answer in the concluding line of the sonnet that is, “they also serve who only stand and wait.”


linking to:

image-in-ing   

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment